Over the past 25 years my colleagues and I have developed and implemented the SENSe assessment and training approach to help stroke survivors with sensory impairment rediscover the sense of touch and return to many daily tasks that were previously not possible. It is our aim to support therapists in acquiring the skills and knowledge required to conduct effective sensory training with persons who have impaired body sensation after stroke. I hope that the information and resources on this site will foster the knowledge and skills to guide your SENSe journey as a stroke survivor, clinician or family member.
SENSe Partnership researchers and organisations
The core Partnership team comprises a multidisciplinary group of experts in implementation science, stroke rehabilitation and service delivery:
- Prof Leeanne Carey, La Trobe University and Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health: Occupational therapist, rehabilitation, neuroscience, implementation science.
- Prof Michael Nilsson, University of Newcastle: Rehabilitation physician, knowledge translation leader.
- Prof Vincent Thijs, Austin Health and Florey Institute: Stroke neurologist, neuroscience, stroke services.
- Prof Natasha Lannin, Monash University and Alfred Health: Occupational therapist, NHMRC Translating Research into Practice fellow.
- Prof Susan Hillier, UniSA Health: Physiotherapist, rehabilitation, guideline development.
- Prof Dominique Cadilhac, Florey Institute and Monash University: Nurse, health economist, head Translational Public Health Unit, Australian Stroke Clinical Registry.
- Prof Geoffrey Donnan, University of Melbourne: Neurologist, stroke management.
- Prof Meg Morris, La Trobe University and Healthscope: Clinical and Rehabilitation practice.
- Prof Leonid Churilov, University of Melbourne: Statistics and Decision Analysis Academic platform.
- Prof Marion Walker, University of Nottingham, Stroke Rehabilitation, implementation, UK.
Collaborators and Partner leads/organisations include:
- Prof Geoffrey Cloud, Alfred Health (Metro, Public).
- Prof Michael Pollack, Hunter New England Health (Metro, Interstate).
- Prof Esther May, UniSA Health (Private, Interstate).
- Prof Vincent Thijs and Michael Murray, Austin Health (Metro, Public).
- Prof John Olver, Epworth Health (Metro, Private).
- Prof Marc Budge, Bendigo Health (Rural, Public).
- Prof Tissa Wijeratne, Western Health (Metro, Public).
- Dr Toni Hogg, Barwon Health (Regional, Public).
- Fiona McKinnon, St Vincent’s Hospital (Metro, Public).
- Sharon McGowan, National Stroke Foundation (Consumer Advocate Group).
SENSe CONNECT Site Coordinators include:
- Anna Butler, Florey Institute, Austin Health and La Trobe University Central Hub.
- Laura Joliffe, Caulfield Hospital, Alfred Health.
- Monique Hourn, John Hunter Hospital, Hunter New England Health Service.
- Jeric Uy, Uni SA Health.
SENSe Implement Champion Therapists include:
- Jannette Blennerhassett, Austin Health.
- Melissa Mew, Barwon Health.
- Delia Worsfold, Epworth Health.
- Catherine McCathie, Bendigo Health.
- Marlies Wanasile, Western Health.
- Philippa Wilford, Royal North Shore Hospital.
- Ester Roberts, Marella McEnaney & Denise Currie, St Vincent’s Hospital.
- Rheonna Cahill & Amie Malcolm, St John of God Frankston.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the following researchers who have been or are currently key members of the SENSe Team and/or the Neurorehabilitation and Recovery Research Team.
- Ms Gemma Lamp.
- Dr Jannette Blennerhassett.
- Dr Joosup Kim.
- Ms Sophie O’Keefe.
- Ms Emily Ramage.
- Mr Alistair Walsh.
- Dr Peter Goodin.
- Dr Karine Koh.
- Dr Elizabeth Harris.
- Dr Elizabeth Pearson.
- Dr Tamara Tse.
- Dr Rishma Vidyasagar.
- Prof Carolyn Baum, Professor of Occupational Therapy and Neurology, Washington University, St. Louis.
- Prof Thomas Matyas, Honorary Professorial Fellow, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, and La Trobe University.
- Prof Sheila Crewther, Professor of Neuroscience, Director of Research, School of Psychological Sciences and Public Health, La Trobe University.
- Prof Rudiger Seitz, Professor and Head, Department of Neurology, Centre of Neurology and Neuropsychiatry, Heinrich-Heine-University, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Prof Catherine Elliot, Professor of Occupational Therapy at Curtin University, Child Neurology and Rehabilitation, WA, Australia.
- Prof Paulette van Vliet, Professor of Stroke Rehabilitation, University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
We acknowledge financial support for conduct of the research from the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Project Grants #191214, #307902 and #1022694 (awarded to LMC) and NHMRC Partnership grant (GNT1134495).
We acknowledge support for researchers from the James S. McDonnell Foundation 21st Century Science Initiative in Cognitive Rehabilitation -Collaborative Award (#220020413); NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Stroke Rehabilitation and Brain Injury (#1077898); NHMRC program grant Saving brain and changing practice in stroke (#1113352); an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship (#FT0992299) and NHMRC Career Development Award (#307905) awarded to LMC; La Trobe University Post Graduate Scholarships awarded to LSC, MT, YM-Y, AW.